The following discussion questions accompany my message this past weekend at Eastbrook Church entitled “Ordinary Offerings” on the faith of Hannah from 1 Samuel 1.
- What is the most important gift that you’ve ever given to someone else in your life? Why was it so important?
- We continue our series, “Risky Faith,” this week with a focus on Hannah, the mother of the prophet Samuel. We will look at 1 Samuel 1:1-28. Read that portion of Scripture out loud.Read More »
The following discussion questions accompany my message this past weekend at Eastbrook Church entitled “Continue” from 2 John.
- Name something you started but found it very difficult to continue. What happened? Why was that?
- This week, we continue our “Love Letters” series with a look at 2 John. Read this short letter out loud.
- What words or phrases do you notice repeating in this letter? What would you say are the main two or three themes John is writing about?
- Through John’s first letter we heard again and again that we should love one another (see 1 John 3:11; 4:7). What does John say about this again here in 2 John 4-6?Read More »
Here are the discussion questions that accompany my message from this past weekend at Eastbrook Church entitled “The Heart of Love.”
- When did you first begin to truly understand the love of God? What was it that helped you truly get that understanding?
- As we continue the “Love Letters” series this week, we are studying 1 John 4:7-16. However, this section is connected to 4:17-21. Take a moment to read 4:7-21 out loud. Take notice of repeating words and concepts that show up in these verses.
- Clearly, love is a theme of this passage, as well as this entire letter of 1 John. In 4:7-16, what are some specific things John says about the love of God: what it is, how it is shown, what it looks like, Read More »
Here are the discussion questions that accompany my message from this past weekend at Eastbrook Church entitled “Love in Action.”
- Talk about a time when you really experienced love. What happened?
- This week’s Bible passage is 1 John 3:11-24. Read this passage out loud and take some time to identify words, phrases, or concepts that repeat throughout these verses. What would you say is the central theme or idea in this passage?
- John says loving one another is a “message you heard from the beginning” (1 John 3:11). Take a look at Jesus’ words in the Gospel of John 13:34-35 and 15:12-17 and compare them to what John is writing.Read More »
Here are the discussion questions that accompany my message from this past weekend at Eastbrook Church entitled “Live Like Children.”
- What is one of your favorite childhood memories? Why?
- Take time to read the Bible passage for this week, 1 John 2:28-3:10. Whether as a group or as individuals, take some time to identify words, phrases, or concepts that repeat throughout these verses.
- One special focus this week is the idea that we are children of God. Take some time to discuss what John writes about being children of God or being born of God. Compare what John writes in the Gospel of John 1:12-13 and 3:5-8 to the 1 John verses. What would you say it means to be a child of God from these verses?
- John writes about the appearing of Jesus Christ various times in this letter. However, he appears to be writing about this appearing in different ways. What two different aspects does John mention about Read More »