This past weekend at Eastbrook, we continued our preaching series entitled “In the Beginning,” drawn from Genesis 1-3. This is the first part of a two-part series on Genesis 1-11 that will stretch from January through Lent up to Easter. This fifth week of the series, Pastor Femi Ibitoye preached about the calling and vocation of humanity from Genesis 1 and 2.
You can find the message outline and video below. You can access the entire series here. Join us for weekend worship in-person or remotely via Eastbrook at Home.
“Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.” (Genesis 1:26)
- Our Creator. Our Maker (Genesis 1:26, Psalm 95:6-7, Psalm 100:3), Nehemiah 9:6
- Good, and all he does is good (Psalm 136, Psalm 100:5
- Love. He loves us
- All powerful
- Our great Provider
Humans made in the image of God
Humans are like God, but not God. We have immense value
Humans are created in God’s image, in part, to be able to rule the created world
Humans are created to glorify God and to enjoy him forever
Humans belong to God. He is his. He is our God. We owe him our allegiance
Humans are honored and valued (Psalm 8:4-8)
Humans to be rulers of God’ Creation
Humans to dominate and take care of creation. Humans have a purpose
Humans are to rule, serve and reign.
Humans to be a reflection of God’s glory
Humans to lead creation in worship and praise of God. We are royal priests (1 Peter 2:9)
Jesus the perfect Human. In this Kingship, he served, cared for, loved his people
Humans to reign with Christ forever in the “world” to come
- Be good rulers of creation. You will be rewarded for your stewardship (Matthew 25:14-30)
- Remember you are royal Priests- Lead the worship of God with all creation
- Be fruitful. Use your resources well and share with others.
- Care for creation as an act of worship. Worship God and care for the world.
This week dig deeper in one or more of the following ways:
- Memorize Genesis 1:26
- Draw, ink, or paint the account of creation in Genesis 1:26. As you do that, thank and praise God for His creation of the world and of you. When you finish, consider sharing your prayer reflections and/or artistry with a friend.
- Watch the Bible Project’s video, “Priests of Eden”: https://bibleproject.com/explore/video/priests-of-eden/
- Read this Bible Project blog: https://bibleproject.com/blog/what-does-it-mean-to-be-human/