This past weekend at Eastbrook, I concluded our series on 1 Thessalonians entitled “Hope Rising: 1 Thessalonians for Today.” This fifth and final week of the series I preached from 1 Thessalonians 5:12-28 on joining the melody of God’s hope in Jesus Christ with the variations of living response.
You can find the message outline and video below. You can access the entire series here. Join us for weekend worship in-person or remotely via Eastbrook at Home.
“Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)
Living as the Good Community of God (1 Thessalonians 5:12-15)
Acknowledge those who serve
Warn those who are idle
Encourage those who are worn down
Turn from grudges
Strive to do good to one another and everyone
Living in Joy, Prayer, and Thanks (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)
Learning the Imperatives of hope
Learning the will of God
Living in the Holy Spirit (1 Thessalonians 5:19-22)
Not quenching the Spirit
Living with discernment
Living into the Blessing of God (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24)
Yielding to the sanctifying work of God
Relying upon the faithfulness of God
Continuing as the Community of God (1 Thessalonians 5:25-28)
This week dig deeper in one or more of the following ways:
- Memorize 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 or 5:23-24
- Make a joy or thankfulness inventory this week. Take time to write down at least 25 things you are thankful for or joyful about. Share this with friends or family sometime this week.
- Choose a portion of this passage to draw, ink, or paint out in a way that expresses worship and prayer.
- Consider reading:
- Timothy J. Keller, The Freedom of Self-Forgetfulness
- Ann Voskamp, One Thousand Gifts