This past weekend at Eastbrook, we contimued our preaching series, “Fractured,” drawn from Genesis 4-11. This is the second part of a two-part series on Genesis 1-11 that will stretch from January through Lent up to Easter. You can access the first part of this series on Genesis, “In the Beginning,” here. This fifth week of the series I preached from Genesis 9:18-10:32, walking through the final episode in Noah’s life and the impact upon his family and the nations.
You can find the message outline and video below. You can access the entire series here. Join us for weekend worship in-person or remotely via Eastbrook at Home.
“Noah, a man of the soil, proceeded to plant a vineyard.” (Genesis 9:20)
A New Beginning and the Table of Nations (9:18-19; 10:1-32)
A new beginning in light of God’s covenant blessing (9:18-19)
God works with the generations and all peoples
Noah’s Vineyard (9:20-21)
Noah is the new man of the soil, echoing Adam
Noah is the first to plant a vineyard
Noah enjoys the work of his hands
The Uncomfortable Encounter of Noah’s Sons (9:22-23)
Ham disrespects his father, to his shame
Shem and Japheth respect their father, to their blessing
The Cursing and Blessing of Noah (9:24-28)
The curse on Ham’s son, Canaan
Why is Canaan cursed for Ham’s wrong?
The blessing on Shem’s God, YHWH
The blessing on Japheth’s territory
Making It Real
God is faithful to His promises to humanity through Noah, even in spite of Noah
It is good to enjoy the work of our hands, particularly the generative aspects of creation
We must beware of how sin and temptation crouches at the door
It is good be in touch with our need for God’s grace always and in every way
This week dig deeper in one or more of the following ways:
- Memorize Genesis 1:28 or 9:7
- Make a sort of family tree out of the table of the nations as described in Genesis 10.
- Using an online tool or Bible concordance, research other references to the people groups mentioned in Genesis 10. What else do you learn?
- Watch the Bible Project video, “Genesis 1-11”: https://bibleproject.com/explore/video/genesis-1-11/
- Read one of the following:
- Tremper Longman, How to Read Genesis
- “What is the Table of Nations?” at GotQuestions: https://www.gotquestions.org/table-of-nations.html