“Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.” (Matthew 14:33)
We cannot know God unless he reveals himself to us.
WHO IS JESUS IN THIS PASSAGE?
- Jesus is the Son of Man. (Matthew 14:23) He is a human being like us. He depended completely on God. Because he is human, he understand and sympathizes with our weakness. He is the New Moses, the great high priest. (Philippians 2:5-8, Hebrews 4:15)
- Jesus is Lord. (Matthew 14:25) Jesus is Lord over the seas and waves. He walks on water. He is Lord over nature. (Psalm 24:1; Psalm 29:2-3, Philippians 2:9-11).
- Jesus is the great “I AM” (Matthew 14:27). Jesus’ self-revelation shows the source of his power. Jesus is not a ghost, He is alive. (Job 9:8, Psalm 89:9, Revelation 1:17b-18)
- Jesus is our Creator. (Matthew 14:28-29). Jesus is so powerful that he can make ordinary men walk on water (Colossians 1:15-17). He sustains us by his mighty hand. Defies gravity, science, logic and common sense.
- Jesus is our Savior. (Matthew 14:30). Jesus saves Peter from sinking. He saves us too from sin and death. Jesus’ name means, “Yahweh saves”.
- Jesus is the Son of God. (Matthew 14:33). Jesus is God. Only God is to be worshipped. Jesus is worthy of our worship and praise. (Psalm 96:9, Revelation 5:13-14)
- Jesus is our Healer. (Matthew 14:34-36). All healing is because of Jesus. Medical healing, physical healing, emotional healing, relational healing, spiritual healing are all because of Jesus. (Psalm 30:2, Isaiah 53:5, Jeremiah 17:4)
Making it real
- Worship Jesus
- Have faith in Jesus
- Prayer of Thanksgiving to Jesus
This week dig deeper in one or more of the following ways:
- Draw, paint, or ink this story of Jesus walking on water as a way of reflecting on what is happening and what you are learning about who Jesus.
- Say a prayer of Thanksgiving today and throughout this week focusing on one or more of the titles of Jesus found in today’s text. Praise him for “who He is.”