- What is your biggest hope for the future?
- As we continue our series “What is God Like?” we will look at Isaiah’s vision of future days in Isaiah 65:17-66:24. Isaiah is speaking into a time when God’s people will be exiled and losing hope in the face of their enemies. His message is essentially a message of hope.
- Read Isaiah 65:17-25 out loud. What are the characteristics of the new heaven and earth as described by the prophet?
- Take some time to read Revelation 21:1-22:6 and compare it to the vision shared by Isaiah.
- Now return to Isaiah and look at 66:18-24. What activity is happening in these verses? Who is involved? What does the scope of people involved say about God?
- Step back into the shoes of Isaiah’s hearers. They were a people on the verge of exile with little hope or sense of a future. How would Isaiah’s words address their situation?
- What are your biggest fears about the future of your life and the future of the world? How do the words spoken by Isaiah address your fears?
- Identify one way you will respond to this week’s study and sermon. Write it down, reflect on it, and put it into practice this week. If you are in a small group, discuss this with one another.