- When did you first begin to truly understand the love of God? What was it that helped you truly get that understanding?
- As we continue the “Love Letters” series this week, we are studying 1 John 4:7-16. However, this section is connected to 4:17-21. Take a moment to read 4:7-21 out loud. Take notice of repeating words and concepts that show up in these verses.
- Clearly, love is a theme of this passage, as well as this entire letter of 1 John. In 4:7-16, what are some specific things John says about the love of God: what it is, how it is shown, what it looks like, etc.?
- The phrase “God is love” (4:9, 16) is widely used. What does John really mean by this phrase in the portion we are examining today?
- Would you say that the love of God has truly transformed your life? Why or why not?
- John writes that God’s love is a motivation for us to love one another (4:11). What do you think is the connection between God’s love and our love for others?
- Who is one person in your life that you could show the love of God to this week? What would that look like specifically?
- Identify one specific way that you will respond to the study this week. Write it down, reflect on it, and put it into practice this week. If you are in a small group, discuss this with one another.