Open Doors released the World Watch List 2022, a resource developed “to track and measure the extent of persecution in the world.” Open Doors has been tracking religious persecution of Christians since the 1970s and their approach to the work is well-informed and reliable. Religious persecution affects many religious groups and not just Christians. Still, there has been widespread recognition over the past few years that religious persecution of Christians is on the rise globally.
You can see an infographic of the list below and can read the entire report here.
Here are a few highlights within the overall trends on this year’s list:
- The Top 10 countries where Christians face the most pressure and violence in the reporting period of the World Watch List 2022 are, in order: Afghanistan, North Korea, Somalia, Libya, Yemen, Eritrea, Nigeria, Pakistan, Iran, and India.
- Afghanistan is now in the #1 position, displacing North Korea, which held that position for the past decade and more
- In just the last year, there have been:
- Over 360 million Christians living in places where they experience high levels of persecution and discrimination
- 5,898 Christians killed for their faith
- 5,110 churches and other Christian buildings attacked
- 6,175 believers detained without trial, arrested, sentenced or imprisoned
- • 3,829 Christians abducted