Here are the discussion questions that accompany my message at Eastbrook Church this past weekend, “We’ll Leave the Light On: Becoming a Radically Welcoming Church.”
1. This week at Eastbrook Church, we conclude our “Pave the Way” series with a look at hospitality. When have you experienced such deep hospitality that the welcome touched your soul?
2. Explore the following Scripture passages and discuss the role that hospitality plays in Jesus’ ministry and teaching:
4. In Peter’s first letter to churches throughout the Mediterranean world, he talks about love and spiritual acts of service. Read 1 Peter 4:7-11 and discuss why you think hospitality is included in the middle of this section.
5. While addressing the need to show hospitality to itinerant church leaders, the apostle John makes mention of how hospitality can play a role in the church’s mission. Read 3 John 8 and think about how hospitality might also be a part of God’s mission in the church today.
6. Here are some practical ways you could put hospitality into practice today:
- Open your home for a potluck with your neighbors
- Develop the practice of praying for people when they enter or leave your home
- Open your home for internationals around holidays, like Thanksgiving or Christmas
- Share a meal with a coworker this week in order to extend Christ’s love
- Invite friends over for a ‘snack’ party while viewing a football game
- Host an exchange student
7. After considering these ideas, identify one or two specific ways you could extend the hospitality of Christ this week. If you are in a small group, discuss this with one another. Close your time in prayer.
Next week we begin a new series on the first part of the Gospel of Mark entitled “The Real Jesus.” To prepare, you could read the first chapter of Mark.