This past weekend at Eastbrook, we began a new preaching series entitled “United,” which explores the essential nature of the church. This first week of the series I expanded upon the statement that the church is a people called by God. I walked through Ephesians 1:3-14 as the basis for my message.
You can find the message video and outline below. You can also view the entire series here. Join us for weekend worship in-person or remotely via Eastbrook at Home.
“We, who were the first to put our hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory.” (Ephesians 1:12)
What is the Church?
3 Characteristics of the Church (Ephesians 1:3-14)
- The Church is Chosen by God the Father (1:3-6)
- Blessed with every spiritual blessing (1:3)
- Called and chosen by God (1:4, 11)
- Adopted by the Father through Jesus Christ (1:5)
- The Church is Redeemed in Jesus Christ (1:7-13)
- Redeemed and forgiven through the blood of Christ and lavish grace of God (1:7-8)
- Given insight into the mystery of God’s will (1:9-10)
- Received the message of truth, the gospel of salvation (1:13)
- The Church is Sealed with the Holy Spirit (1:13-14)
- Marked with the seal of the Holy Spirit (1:13-14)
- Living to the praise of God’s glory (1:6, 12, 14)
Living as the Church
Responding to God the Father’s call
Savoring God’s goodness in Jesus Christ
Living for God’s praise by the power of the Holy Spirit
This week dig deeper in one or more of the following ways:
- Memorize Ephesians 1:3-14 in its entirety or a verse from it. You may also want to memorize Ephesians 4:4-6.
- Journal about Ephesians 1:3-14, perhaps thanking God for each of the spiritual blessings outlined in this passage or dwelling upon one or two specifics that stand out to you.
- Reach out to someone to share with them what God is teaching you about the church and the spiritual blessings found in Jesus Christ.
- Watch the Bible Project overview video on the book of Ephesians
One thought on “A People Called by God”
[…] Here is John Calvin reflecting on Ephesians 1:3, which says, “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.” This is part of the text I preached from this past weekend in my message, “A People Called by God.” […]