This past weekend at Eastbrook, we began our journey of Advent and a new series entitled “Canticles of Christmas” This first week of the series I preached from Luke 1:26-38 on the angel Gabriel’s announcement to Mary and her stunning response.
You can find the message outline and video below. You can access the entire series here. Join us for weekend worship in-person or remotely via Eastbrook at Home.
“’I am the Lord’s servant,’ Mary answered. ‘May your word to me be fulfilled.’” (Luke 1:38)
The Miracle of God’s Plan for the World (Luke 1:26-33)
The gift of a greeting from God’s messenger
The gift of the child from God
The gift of the coming king from God
The Miracle of God’s Plan for Mary (Luke 1:34-37)
The miraculous conception
The echo of Elizabeth, her cousin, and her child
The miraculous word of God
The Miracle of Mary’s Response (Luke 1:29, 34, 38)
From perplexity to wondering to surrendering
This week dig deeper in one or more of the following ways:
- Memorize Luke 1:31-33 or 1:38
- Join in with the devotional that accompanies Advent and this series here: https://eastbrook.org/devotionals/.
- Draw, ink, or paint Luke 1:26-38 as a basis for prayer. Take time to talk with God as you depict the scene in your own way. What is God speaking to you through this account of Mary’s encounter with Gabriel?
- Listen to musical renderings of this song: “Fiat Mihi” by James MacMillan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvqarhzvLM8
- Consider reading:
- Scot McKnight, The Real Mary
- Matthew J. Milliner, Mother of the Lamb: The Story of a Global Icon
2 thoughts on ““May It Be Unto Me As You Have Said” (Fiat Mihi)”
Thank you for sharing an excellent blog. I love reading and watching videos like this because it lifts me spiritually. Living with God is amazing, and no doubt about how great Mary is.
I’m glad you enjoyed it and I appreciate the feedback.