- How did you first come to a transforming relationship with God? What happened? Who was involved?
- This week, we conclude our series on the Holy Spirit by looking at the Holy Spirit’s mission. Begin your study by asking God to speak to you. Read the John 15:26-16:15 out loud.
- Based on what you just read how would you describe the role of the Holy Spirit in the life of the believer or the church community?
- One key concept is found in John 15:26-27 about the Holy Spirit. Jesus says, “he will testify about me.” There is a parallel to this in 1 John 5:10-11. What do you think it means that the Holy Spirit will ‘testify’ or ‘bear witness’ to Jesus?
- Compare three key passages about the calling of the early disciples and the ministry of the Holy Spirit in Matthew 28:18-20; Luke 24:45-49; and John 20:21-23. How would you describe the Holy Spirit’s work within the early disciples as Jesus returned to the Father? What was the Holy Spirit leading them into?
- Now, let’s trace the movement of the early church in the book of Acts. Read all or some of the following passages and reflect on what the Holy Spirit did with the early church: Acts 1:7-8, Acts 2:1-5, Acts 26:15-20, Acts 8:1-8, Acts 10:1-8, 44-48
- What challenges to you see at play in the early believers’ understanding of their mission from these readings in Acts? How did they respond to those challenges?
- This week’s focus upon the mission of the Holy Spirit boils down to our response to God with others. What is one specific thing that God is speaking to you from this study? Write these things down. If you are in a small group, discuss this together. Take time to pray that you will grow in love.
[Next week: We will begin a new series entitled “Life Verse” with guest speaker, Jason Webb, of Brooklife Church. You can prepare by reading Hebrews 10:38-11:1.]