I’ve mentioned before that each of the letters to the seven churches follows a basic form:
- a word about Jesus (looking back to Revelation 1)
- a word of affirmation or encouragement for how the church is doing
- a word of correction for the church’s growth
- a word of promise for the overcomer
Sardis receives the strongest correction from Jesus, with no word o affirmation or encouragement at all.
My main point in this message, “Asleep in Sardis,” is that there are certain things we must avoid if we truly want to grow with God in life. In fact, there are five specific things that Jesus addresses about the precarious place in which the church of Sardis finds itself.
The message outline is included below.
Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have found your deeds unfinished in the sight of my God.” (Revelation 3:2)
Five Ways to Avoid Spiritual Death
- Move beyond a reputation of life (Revelation 3:1)
- Wake up to the real situation (Revelation 3:2)
- Strengthen your life through obedience (Revelation 3:3)
- Hold onto what’s true (Revelation 3:3)
- Aim for something bigger (Revelation 3:3,5)