Here are the discussion questions that accompany my message, “Visitation,” from this past weekend at Eastbrook Church. This is the second part of our series, “Beginnings.” The text for this week is Luke 1:26-56.
- When have experienced a special gift in your life from a person or God? What happened?
- This week we continue our “Beginnings” series from the Gospel of Luke by looking at Luke 1:26-56. Ask God to speak to you and then, whether you are with a group or on your own, read that passage aloud.
- Background: Mary is a young woman in a relatively small town in the northern region of Galilee. She is in the first stage of two-stage marriage process, involving the public promise of marriage (like engagement) before the final marriage ceremony when the husband would take his wife home, sometimes up to a year later.
- The angel Gabriel appears to Mary with a great message about a miraculous child to come. What do you make of Gabriel’s greeting to Mary in verse 28?
- How does Gabriel describe this promised child in Luke 1:30-33, 35-37?
- For further background on the promise about David’s throne, you may want to look at: 2 Samuel 7:14; 1 Chronicles 17:11-14; Psalm 89; 132:11-12; Isaiah 9:6-7; and 11:1-15.
- How would you describe Mary’s response to this dramatic announcement in 1:34 and 38?
- These two favored women, Mary and Elizabeth, meet one another at Elizabeth’s home in Judea. Why is this meeting special, according to Luke 1:39-45?
- Now, read aloud Mary’s song, known by its Latin name the Magnificat, in Luke 1:46-56. What stands out to you from Mary’s song? How might you compose your own song of praise to God?
- What is one specific thing that God is speaking to you through this study? If you are with a small group, discuss that with one another and pray for one another. If you are studying on your own, write it down and share it with someone.
Daily Reading Plan
To encourage us together in our growth with God, we are arranging a weekday reading plan through this entire series with the Gospel of Luke. As you read each day, ask God to speak to you from His word.
Follow along with the reading plan below, through the Eastbrook app, or on social media.
- Monday, Oct 24 Luke 1:26-38; 2 Samuel 7:9-16
- Tuesday, Oct 25 Matthew 1:18-25
- Wednesday, Oct 26 Luke 1: 39-45
- Thursday, Oct 27 Luke 1:46-56; Psalm 103:17-18
- Friday, Oct 28 1 Samuel 2:1-10