- When have you experienced God’s goodness after a long time of waiting? What happened?
- This week we continue our “Beginnings” series from the Gospel of Luke by looking at Luke 1:57-80. Ask God to speak to you and then, whether you are with a group or on your own, read that passage aloud.
- Luke returns to the story of Elizabeth and Zechariah with the birth of their new son begun in Luke 1:5-25. One of the biggest moments in this story is the naming of the child. Why do you think this was a big deal? (You may also want to reread Luke 1:5-25.)
- As you read Luke 1:57-66 what do you notice about the response of those around Elizabeth and Zechariah? How do they respond to this new child?
- Zechariah’s obedience in naming John is a faith-filled response to God’s promise that he earlier disbelieved (Luke 1:18-20). Why do you think Zechariah changed in his time of waiting? Have you ever had an experience like Zechariah in your life with God?
- As Zechariah’s voice returns, he immediately speaks words of praise to God. The first half of Zechariah’s prophecy (1:67-75) focuses on God’s goodness, specifically referencing God’s promises to David (2 Samuel 7:12-16) and Abraham (Genesis 12:1-3). Read those passages and reflect on what Zechariah is saying will come true in the days to come?
- The second part of Zechariah’s prophecy (Luke 1:76-79) looks toward the role that John will play in the work of the coming Messiah. What do you notice about John’s role and what that shows about the Messiah?
- What is one specific thing that God is speaking to you through this study? If you are with a small group, discuss that with one another and pray for one another. If you are studying on your own, write it down and share it with someone.
Daily Reading Plan
To encourage us together in our growth with God, we are arranging a weekday reading plan through this entire series with the Gospel of Luke. As you read each day, ask God to speak to you from His word.
Follow along with the reading plan below, through the Eastbrook app, or on social media.
- November 7 Luke 1:57-66
- November 8 1 Samuel 1:19-28
- November 9 Luke 1:67-75
- November 10 Genesis 12:1-3
- November 11 Malachi 3:1; Luke 1:76-80