Lord our God, you are great.
You are clothed with splendor and majesty,
glorious beyond our comprehending
and always worthy of praise.
Even as we seek You,
we admit our limitations.
Our life is like a vapor upon this earth,
yet You are eternal.
Our understanding is limited,
yet You are the all-wise God.
Like Job, we often speak words without knowledge
as we try to peer into Your ways that are higher than ours.
Give us vision, like Zechariah,
to see, through the mists of our limitations,
the glory of Your presence, blazing like the sun,
which brings light and life to all things.
Strengthen us to persevere in seeking You,
that, like a deer panting for streams of water,
our needy souls might be satisfied in You alone,
who is our Creator, Savior, and Sustainer.
All this we pray, through Jesus Christ,
to whom, with You and the Holy Spirit
be all honor and glory, now and forever.
This is part of a series of posts with prayers based upon the message of the Minor Prophets:
- A Prayer for the Church from Hosea 1-3
- Hesed Prayer: inspired by the prophet Hosea
- A Prayer inspired by the prophet Joel
- A Prayer inspired by the prophet Amos
- A Prayer inspired by the prophet Obadiah
- A Prayer inspired by the prophet Jonah
- A Prayer inspired by the prophet Micah
- A Prayer on Living for God, inspired by Micah 6:8
- A Prayer inspired by the prophet Nahum
- A Prayer for Distressing Times inspired by the prophet Habakkuk
- A Prayer inspired by the prophet Zephaniah
- A Prayer inspired by the prophet Haggai