This past weekend at Eastbrook we continued our pause on our preaching series, “Who Do You Say I Am?”, in order to continue our annual MissionsFest. Last week Dr. Ed Stetzer was with us for a message entitled, “The Commissions of Jesus for a Post-COVID Church.” This week my colleague, Pastor Dan Ryan, spoke about where Eastbrook is headed with local and international mission through a message entitled “Seeking Transformation through Jesus.”
You can find the message video and outline below. You can also view the entire series here. Join us for weekend worship in-person or remotely via Eastbrook at Home.
- Revisiting Dr. Stetzer’s sermon:
a. We are Sent
b. To All Kinds of People
c. With a Message
d. Empowered by the Holy Spirit
- Busyness vs Transformation
a. Losing sight of the end goal
b. What is the end goal?
- Transformation in Jesus
a. Luke 4:16-21
- Integrated Transformation
a. Our mission is to Proclaim & Embody
b. It is a mission focused on the Spiritual and the Physical
c. Mission lives in the tension of these two
d. Jesus was fully man and fully God, a whole human and a whole spirit
e. As Jesus is, so is our mission integrated
- Seeking Transformation
a. What does it take to see transformation?
b. Example: Milwaukee Rescue Mission
c. Moving forward in Local Outreach
i. Seek the Holy Spirit
ii. Serve Together
iii. Build Relationships
iv. Seek Transformation
- Afghan Arrivals
a. Opportunity to support
b. Building teams around each arrival
c. Your chance to join us
- Focusing on Transformation
a. Stories from overseas
b. How to join in – Perspectives & Short-term
- Read Jesus’ Commissions again, particularly Acts 1:8 and Matthew 28:16-20 and spend time unpacking the different parts of each commission.
- Read Luke 4:16-21 and also Isaiah 61 and envision a city and a world where this takes hold.
- Spend time away with God this week reflecting on the connection between His Commissions and His Transformation, and what part He is calling you to play.
- To unpack the theological understanding of this transformation, read Surprised by Hope by NT Wright
- Reach out to a fellow brother or sister in Christ who is serving in the city or world and invite them to a shared meal or over coffee to hear how they have witnessed God’s work of transformation.