This weekend at Eastbrook we kicked off a new series entitled “I AM,” which focuses on Jesus’ seven I am statements in John’s Gospel. I started this series by looking at Jesus’ declaration, “I am the Bread of Life,” from John 6:25-71.
My basic outline was to look at four statements Jesus makes in this teaching that begin “very truly” or “truly, truly” in English translations but start with “Amen, Amen” in the Greek. Here is a more in-depth outline than was found in the bulletin today.
Four Nourishing Truths
- Jesus Knows What We Seek (6:26-29)
- Motivations: “Jesus answered, ‘Very truly, I tell you, you are looking for Me, not because you saw the signs I performed but because you ate the loaves and had your fill. Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you’” (6:26-27).
- Working for God: “They asked Him, ‘What must we do to do the works God requires?’” (6:28).
- The Father Gives What We Need (6:32-40)
- True Bread: “It is My Father who gives you the true bread from heaven” (6:32).
- Life that Endures: “For My Father’s will is that everyone…shall have eternal life” (6:40).
- Those who believe in Jesus gain life that endures (6:47-51)
- Not just a gift: “For the bread of God is the bread that comes down from heaven and gives life toe the world” (6:33).
- A Person: “I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats of this bread will live forever” (6:51).
- A Person who gives everything: “This bread is My flesh, which I will give for the life of the world” (6:51).
- Believing in Jesus means feeding on Jesus (6:53-58)
- Trusting our life to His life and death: “Very truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you” (6:53).
- Experiencing life through His life: “The one who feeds on Me will live because of Me” (6:57).
Three Revealing Responses
- The crowd: grumbling, arguing, not believing (6:41, 52, 36)
- Some disciples: troubled, grumbling, turning away (6:60, 61, 66)
- The twelve: believing, knowing, seeking (6:68-69)