This weekend at Eastbrook we continued our series on Proverbs entitled “Words to Live By” as I gave a message entitled “Our Plans and God’s Plans.”
My message outline is below.
“Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and He will establish your plans…In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps.’” (Proverbs 16:3, 9)
Where Should We Start?
- With us? – (16:9; 27:1)
- With God? (16:1-4, 9, 33; 19:21)
What do we need?
- Integrity of life (with appropriate self-evaluation) (4:23; 11:3; 16:25)
- Wise advisors (including openness to rebuke) (12:5, 15; 15:22)
- Diligence (with open hands) (4:26; 21:5)
An Aside on Twists in Our Plans – Joseph
- Downward trajectory: favored son – cast into a pit by his brothers – sold into slavery – sent to prison on false accusations
- Redeemed trajectory: what you intended for evil, God intended for good (Genesis 50:19-20)
How should we move forward?
- Relationship: A life surrendered in trust to the living God (3:5-6; 16:3)
- Wisdom: Choose to cultivate a life governed by God’s truth (1:1-7; 4:1)