I concluded series “Remade” this weekend at Eastbrook Church with a look at Jesus’ teaching in Mark 12:28-34. “Remade” is the third part of our Gospel of Mark series (see also “The Real Jesus” and “King Coming“).
My message was entitled “The Greatest Thing,” and looked at this central teaching that many of us have encountered before about what the greatest commandment is. In the question, I took us through some key questions:
- how can we tell if we are growing in love for God?
- what is love?
- who really is my neighbor?
The outline for the message is included below:
The Greatest Thing
- The rabbis’ riddle
- Jesus’ unique approach to the question
- Beginning with God and the Shema
Love for God
Love for Your Neighbor
- Leviticus 19:18
- The definition of neighbor
Drawing Near to the Kingdom of God
- What leads us close
- What holds us back