This weekend at Eastbrook Church, I continued our “Revealed” series by looking at the letter to the church in Pergamum (Revelation 2:12-17). I wanted to highlight the fact that often the most destructive attacks we face in our lives come not from full frontal assaults by evil but the side doors and back doors. I focused on how Jesus was calling the church into an awareness of their setting and alertness about those potential pitfalls.
The message outline is included below.
Be Aware!: Know Your Setting (Revelation 2:12-13)
- The city of Pergamum
- “where Satan has his throne…where Satan lives”
- “in the days of Antipas, my faithful witness, who was put to death in your city”
Be Alert!: Two Attacks More Destructive Than Persecution (Revelation 2:14-15)
- Self-serving religion replacing penetrating truth
- Unguided tolerance replacing focused love
Be Transformed!: The Way to Overcome (Revelation 2:16-17)
- The meaning of repentance: a transformed mind
- Transformed awareness
- Transformed minds
- Transformed actions