Each week I develop discussion or reflection questions to accompany my messages at Eastbrook Church. This past weekend I preached a message entitled “Less” from our new series “Real Rich.” Here they are!
1. What do you think it means to honor God with your finances?
2. As we continue our series, “Real Rich,” this week, we are going to explore a number of Scripture passages related to honoring God with our everyday finances. Before you begin your study, ask God to speak to you through the Scripture.
3. Last week, Pastor Jim Caler talked about responding to God’s grace in our lives by giving back a portion of what we have to honor God. Let’s begin this study by looking now at an overall perspective toward money and finances from Matthew 6:19-34. Whether you are alone or with a group, read that passage aloud.
4. How would you summarize Jesus’ teaching about our attitude and relationship toward money in Matthew 6:19-24?
5. How close or distant is your own approach to money to Jesus’ teaching? What would it take for you to grow closer to Jesus’ teaching here?
6. In Matthew 6:25-31 Jesus addresses the practical ways we live in light of our attitudes toward money. Often, our practical living is characterized by worry. What does Jesus prescribe as the antidote toward living with worry about material things?
7. What worries your most about your material or financial things at present? In Philippians 4:6, Paul writes: “do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.” Take some time to bring your worries to God in prayer.
8. Jesus says: “lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal” (Matthew 6:20). How have you ever joined in with God to lay up treasures in heaven? What did you do? What happened?
9. How is God speaking to you now from this study of Scripture about our finances? If you are in a small group, discuss this together. If you are on your own, then perhaps you could write down some thoughts on this.
[Next week: We will continue the “Real Rich” series by talking about generosity. Prepare by reading 2 Corinthians 8:1-15; Acts 4:32-37; Matthew 6:19-24; 19:21; and Luke 6:38.]