This past weekend at Eastbrook, my friend, Will Branch, continued our series entitled “The Messiah’s Mission,” by looking at Matthew 9:9-17. This includes Jesus’ calling of Matthew from his tax booth, as well as teaching about Jesus as the bridegroom and new wine skins.
You can find the message video and outline below. You can also view the entire series here, as well as the devotional that accompanies the series here. Join us for weekend worship in-person or remotely via Eastbrook at Home.
The Messiah’s Mission:
“As Jesus went on from there, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax collector’s booth. “Follow me,” he told him, and Matthew got up and followed him.” Matt 9:9
Response to Jesus’ Call
- Matthew: Obedience
- Tax Collectors and Sinners: Fellowship The Pharisees: Contempt
- John’s Disciples: Questions
- The Lesson: Mercy not Sacrifice
Jesus’ Call and Response
- To the sick: Eat and be well
- To the Pharisees: Go and Learn
- To John’s Disciples: Why fast? I’m here.
- The Lesson: The old way doesn’t work with the new.
Lessons to be Learned
- The doctor is in: Are you sick?
- The sacrifice has been made: Are you merciful?
- The Bridegroom is gone: Are you mourning?
- The old is gone: Are you new?