This past weekend at Eastbrook, I continued our series entitled “The Messiah’s Mission,” by looking at Matthew 10:26-11:1. This is the second part of Jesus’ commissioning discourse which followed His calling of the twelve apostles. You may want to take a look at Nic Fridenmaker’s message from last week, which explores the first part of this teaching by Jesus.
Here, I talk about how Jesus sends His people out with the right focus, the right priorities, and the right end-goal.
You can find the message video and outline below. You can also view the entire series here, as well as the devotional that accompanies the series here. Join us for weekend worship in-person or remotely via Eastbrook at Home.
“Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.” (Matthew 10:39)
Sent with the Right Kind of Fear (10:26-31)
- Do not fear physical suffering
- Do have appropriate fear of God
- Living with real reverence and trust
Sent with the Right Kind of Priorities (10:32-39)
- Acknowledging Jesus publicly in our lives
- Loving Jesus more than anyone else
- The reality of suffering in the disciple-life
- Living to find real life
Sent for the Right Kind of Reward (10:40-42)
- The reward of welcoming Jesus
- The reward of welcoming Jesus’ people
- Living for a real reward
This week dig deeper into Jesus’ call to mission in one or more of the following ways:
- Consider memorizing Matthew 10:38-39
- Take some time in prayer this week to consider what it means for you to take up your cross in pursuit of Jesus. What competing loves and allegiances do you need to lay down or put in their right place? In what specific ways might you need to step forward into true discipleship with Jesus?
- In order to reflect more deeply on this passage, select one or more of the teachings of Jesus in Matthew 10:26-42 to sketch, ink, or paint. As you do that, prayerfully reflect on Jesus’ calling on your own life.
- Pray for yourself, your friends or family, your small group, and Eastbrook Church, that God would strengthen us as His people to walk with Him and join His mission.