We continued our series “I AM” this weekend at by looking at two of Jesus’ declarations: “I am the gate” and “I am the good shepherd” from John 10:1-21.
Here is a slightly more in-depth outline than was found in the bulletin today.
Jesus the Gate-Shepherd Who Guards His Own (10:7-10)
- The gate versus the robbers
- The provision of the gate: safety
- The goal of the gate: full life
Jesus the Good Shepherd Who Lays Down His Life (10:11-13, 15-18)
- The Good Shepherd versus the hired hand (10:11-13)
- Ezekiel 34:1-10 on the failed shepherds
- Jesus’ way of laying down His life: authority (10:15-18)
Jesus the Good Shepherd Who Knows His Own Intimately (10:14, 2-5)
- The good shepherd and sheep: a knowing relationship
- The nature of the relationship: Speaking and listening
- The practice of the relationship: leading and following