The message was built around two ideas. First of all, that it is normal to experience barriers in our growth with God. Secondly, that with the help of God it is possible to break through these barriers for continued growth.
Beginning a Garden
Barrier #1: Confusion about God’s Grace (Ephesians 2:1-9)
- The place where growth starts
- The good news of God’s Grace through Faith
Barrier #2: Misunderstanding How Growth Happens (1 Corinthians 3:5-9)
- Understanding our role
- Understanding God’s role
Barrier #3: Living in Apathy versus Intention (Mark 12:28-30)
- Stalling in apathy
- Focused intention
Letting Weeds Grow
Barrier #4: Failing to Deal with Sin (Hebrews 12:1-3)
- Dealing with “the sin that so easily entangles us”
- Living out of “go and sin no more”
Barrier #5: Losing Touch with Our Interior Lives (John 5:1-15)
- What do we most want?
- Do we live in alignment with Jesus’ work in our lives?
Barrier #6: Losing Sight of the Importance of Others (Mark 12:31)
- The importance of our love for others as part of our growth
- The importance of others’ love for us as part of our growth