This weekend I concluded our series, “The Name,” at Eastbrook Church as we looked at Exodus 4:1-17. Throughout this series we have explored Moses’ encounter with the Living God at the burning bush, encouraging us to all step into a transforming encounter with the Living God. The previous weeks have spent quite a bit of time on the person and character of God. This weekend’s message focused more on Moses’ fears and hesitation, and what we can learn from him together.
The message outline is included below.
Remembering the God We Are Talking About
- The God who hears our cry (Exodus 2:23-3:3)
- The God who reveals His plans to act (Exodus 3:4-12)
- The God who is almighty, faithful, and redeeming (Exodus 3:13-22)
Living with People’s Opinions
- Moses: “what if people don’t believe me?”
- God’s response: specific provision – miraculous signs – to encourage Moses
Living with our Inabilities
- Moses: “what about my speaking limitations?”
- God’s response: the Maker of mouths can strengthen a mouth
Living with our Insecurities
- Moses: “send someone else!”
- God’s response: frustrated but still gracious