This message focuses on the relationship between Jesus and John the Baptist and what it means to truly hear from God and respond.
You can find the message video and outline below. You can also view the entire series here, as well as the devotional that accompanies the series here. Join us for weekend worship in-person or remotely via Eastbrook at Home.
“Truly I tell you, among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist; yet whoever is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.” (Matthew 11:11)
John the Baptist’s Perspective on Jesus (11:2-6)
- John’s early perspective on Jesus: the one coming after who is stronger (3:11-12)
- John’s current perspective on Jesus: “are you the one who is to come?” (11:2-3)
- Jesus’ response to John’s question: take a look at what’s happening (11:4-6)
Jesus’ Perspective on John the Baptist (11:7-15)
- John was a prophet (11:7-9)
- John was “Elijah” the prophets spoke of (11:14; Malachi 3:1; 4:4-5)
- John was the last of the age before the Kingdom (11:11-14)
- Jesus’ question to His hearers: do you have ears to hear? (11:15)
This Generation’s Perspective on John the Baptist and Jesus (11:16-19)
- A parable about children in the market (11:16-17)
- This generation’s desire for Jesus and John to “fit” their desires
- The proof of the wisdom of God’s Kingdom
This week dig deeper into understanding John the Baptist and his relationship to Jesus in one or more of the following ways:
- Memorize Matthew 11:11.
- Study all the passages about John the Baptist in the Gospel of Matthew (3:1-17; 4:12; 9:14-17; 11:1-19; 14:1-13; 16:13-14; 17:10-13; 21:23-32).
- Explore Bible maps related to the life and ministry of John the Baptist here
- While it focuses on the Gospel of Luke, you may enjoy watching the Bible Project video, “The Baptism of Jesus (Luke 3-9)”